Campsite near Ile d’Yeu
The pier for the island of Yeu is only 10 minutes from your campsite. Feel free to enjoy beautiful scenery while visiting the island of Yeu. Invigorating getaway, the island of Yeu offers a change of scenery where car traffic is prohibited, a golden opportunity to travel around by bike. The island is big enough to give you beautiful walks and small enough to travel in a day.
Enjoy the pleasure of a sea crossing with the two companies serving the island from Fromentine:
The Compagnie Yeu Continent throughout the year
The Compagnie Vendéenne April to September and during the holidays of All Saints or Saint Gilles Croix de Vie from April to September.
The landscapes of the island of Yeu looks like the Brittany coast and charm you with its varied landscapes of great beauty: wild windswept moors, iridescent beaches contrasting with the blue ocean, moors offering mosaic pastel colors, vertiginous cliffs dark crevices and small white fishermen’s houses with painted shutters.
During your walk, besides the preserved nature, you will discover the many treasures concealed in the island: its flagship, the old castle, the church Saint Saviour and the small chapel of Port aux Meules, the citadel of Port Joinville.
The island of Yeu: An Island Life
The island of Yeu is a true island and recognized as such, it is part of the Ponant Islands. Three criteria are required to be equipped with the island as: Having no physical tether link connecting the mainland, be permanently inhabited by a population, have a status of local community. They enjoy special protection, in particular in the preservation of their environment.
The trace of his occupation during the Neolithic period is still visible today: the dolmens of Small Fradets, Ironing Puare of the standing stones and the “Pierre cups”. Archaeological excavations have found coins evidencing an interest in the island by the Romans without to have left important vestiges.
This is the sixth century Irish monks invest the island of Yeu by founding a small community around the church of Saint Sauveur. Later, they will erect a monastery now disappeared, ruined by the Norman invasions in the ninth century. Another monastery will be built by monks of Marmoutier at the site of Ker Châlon and reconstruct the first church burned by looters Norman.
From there, the island is coveted and will have to permanently protect the appetites of the Spanish conquest, Dutch and English. and this protective role will be devolved to the Lords of the island, built in the seventeenth century marquis. From the eleventh century they discharge their difficult task by building a fort, first in wood and then a castle in stone. But for fear of falling into enemy hands, Louis XIV will disband.
Like many islands, Yeu is exempt from tax which in fact leads to a strong development of contraband tobacco that particular number of inhabitants grew to improve the ordinary.
At the time of the Vendée wars, the island was occupied by the English who had promised to support the royalists Chouans against the Republican troops but he never landed on the continent and put an end to the dreams of insurgents led by the Vendée Charette.
Fishing on the island of Yeu, a tradition
From the late eighteenth century, the island specialized in offshore fishing and its port became the largest tuna fishing port on the Atlantic coast. Unfortunately with the new regulations imposed over time, including the prohibition of drift nets, the fishermen themselves obliged to adopt new fishing techniques, less destructive and more targeted. The port still receives large specialized vessels for hake, monkfish and sole porbeagle.
The Yeu island turned to tourism
The island has understood that his future lay in quality tourism and has embarked on a paid communication policy: to be perceived by many mainland tourists as a haven of peace preserved the massive influx of visitors, guests to spend a day to escape. Its exceptional location also calls on a large-scale wind power plan in partnership with the island of Noirmoutier.
A varied and enchanting landscape
The island of Yeu has a very diverse landscape. Its flora plant is located at the crossroads of influences armoricaine Aquitaine and adapting to the cliffs, moors and marshes making it a land of incomparable richness.
On the east coast of the island, Port Joinville at Point Crow, sandy beaches bordering the ocean facing the continent, bounded by the dunes with marram decorated to Sentoline or blue thistle. At the rear of pine and oak forests provide a quiet gentle landscape. It is the landscape encountered everywhere on the coast Vendeen, suitable for beach activities. The contrast is striking with said wild west coast, composed of large jagged cliffs, sandy coves dotted with small: Sabias beaches, the Rouis Sables des Fontaines and berries: Vieilles beaches, the Soux, sheltered paradise. In the center of the island one finds the heath and wetlands is home to many species of birds that rest during their long migrations.
The old castle
This is Olivier de Clisson who renovated the castle to defend the island. But an English privateer managed to invest it in 1355 before qu”Olivier V de Clisson arrives after 37 years to take over. It was fortified several times and finally disarmed and abandoned under Louis XIV. It is said that this would be the castle of the famous story of Tintin “The black island” …. To you to check up …!
Lighthouse Pointe crows was built in 1862 after the sinking of the “Active” which caused 80 victims to guide sailors who previously could only guide that through the church steeple Saint Sauveur. This lighthouse is still active but it was rebuilt after the Germans destroyed during the Second World War. It is remote controlled by the great lighthouse located northwest of the island, built it in 1950.
The church of Saint Saviour
Built on a high point, its bell tower housed a semaphore until the construction of the first lighthouse. Under the influence of violent winds from offshore, it threatened to collapse. Given its strategic location Louis XVI decided to restore it to its expenses in 1774. During the empire, he watchtower function and undergoes therefore of amenities but struck by lightning in 1953, it was decided to rebuild the in its original form in the Romanesque style.
Planned to accommodate a military garrison in order to defend the coast, it was used primarily to arrest prisoners of state including the famous Marshal Petain who was imprisoned there after the war and who died there in 1951. His body based on the island. Do not hesitate to come through this fort that kept her sad and mysterious corridors.
La Meule port
Jewel of the island, you will love this tiny harbor sheltered in a small cove that overlooks the chapel Our Lady of the Good News, white figure on a blue sky background. It is the oldest religious building built to ward off bad adage of the Year 1000. Invisible from the sea, the port was a hotbed of smuggling.
This entire site is one of the most popular spots on the island, enticing visitors with its undeniable charm.